The Misericordia Eye Bank coordinates eye tissue donations for transplantation, research and education throughout Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario.
Eye Bank technicians process approximately 100 eye donations every year; 70 per cent of tissue is eligible for transplantation with the remaining 30 per cent valuable to research and education.
Corneal transplants are the most common use of donated eye tissue. Although surgeons perform an average of 120 corneal transplants annually, there are typically between 110-120 recipients awaiting corneal transplantation at any time.
Have you considered giving the gift of sight? Registering online means your donation decision is always available to the medical team and your family. Registering your intent to be a donor online only takes two minutes at Sign Up For Life.