1898 – Four Misericordia Sisters arrive in Winnipeg from Montreal to care for abandoned children as well as young women and their babies.
1900 – The Misericordia Sisters realize the increasing needs of the community and move to two and a half acres of land between Sherbrook and Maryland streets to establish the Winnipeg Maternity Hospital.
1916 – The Sisters open the Misericordia School of Nursing; graduates were well respected and highly sought after, primarily due to their faith-based training.
1917 – Winnipeg Maternity Hospital name changes to Misericordia General Hospital with 125 beds, 50 bassinets and 50 medical practitioners.
1922 – Misericordia General Hospital awarded a grade “A” facility approval from the Catholic Association of Federated Hospitals and the American College of Surgeons.
1927 – Misericordia General Hospital enlarged from 125 to 225 beds.
1950 – Maryland Wing added, bringing the total number of beds to 305.
1953 – Shea family’s significant donation allows Misericordia’s expansion to go forward.
1954 – Construction begins on the Cornish and Wolseley West additions bringing the total number of beds to 418, with 60 bassinets and a full range of diagnostic services.
1950 – 1959 – During the 1950s the Misericordia Sisters have the strongest presence in Winnipeg, with over 45 Sisters involved and active.
1962 – New nurses’ residence constructed to accommodate 200 students.
1965 – The care of single mothers and their babies separates from Misericordia General Hospital with the opening of Villa Rosa, a home for single mothers.
1971 – Riverview Annex constructed, housing the new Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit.
1983 – Misericordia Health Centre’s Foundation incorporates.
1985 – 1988 – Parkade, Central Energy Plant and overpass built.
1990 – Maryland North buildings, Carpentry and Paint Shop demolished.
1991 – New Receiving Area and Dietetic Production area completed.
1993 – Eye Care Centre of Excellence consolidated and established at Misericordia. Pediatrics and Inpatient Psychiatry removed and consolidated at other facilities.
1994 – Care-A-Van purchased: a staff-initiated program taking care into the community.
1995 – Misericordia General Hospital receives the Manitoba Quality Award.
1997 – Obstetrics Department and School of Nursing closes.
1998 – Misericordia General Hospital becomes known as Misericordia Health Centre (MHC), reflecting its new role. Urgent Care Centre opens; 174 Interim Long-Term Care beds open.
1998 – Wolseley Family Place, a family resource drop-in centre, opens to meet changing community needs.
2000 – Misericordia Place, a 100-bed Personal Care Home, opens.
2001 – Wolseley Family Place incorporates.
2002 – PhotoDynamic Therapy (PDT) begins in Eye Care Centre of Excellence.
2004 – Health Links-Info Santé expands to a 35-seat provincial call centre called the Provincial Health Contact Centre (PHCC).
2004 – The two remaining Misericordia Sisters residing in Winnipeg announce they will be returning to the Motherhouse in Montreal. A brightly lit cross is placed atop the Misericordia Health Centre to honour the Sisters legacy.
2005 – Pediatric Dental, a new surgical program, opens.
2005 – The MHC Foundation successfully completes a significant fund-raising initiative to make possible a major redevelopment and patient enhancement for our 24/7 Urgent Care Centre.
2006 – The $1.7 million redevelopment of Urgent Care, including a refurbished waiting area, is completed.
2007 – The Honourable Theresa Oswald, Minister of Health, announces Misericordia’s $17.5 million redevelopment plans, including an expansion of our Eye Care Centre of Excellence and Ambulatory Diagnostic Services. New to Misericordia will be a sleep disorder centre, a renal dialysis centre, a chronic care unit and the PRIME program.
2007 – Avastin™ injections, an innovate treatment of wet macular degeneration, begin at our Eye Care Centre of Excellence.
2007 – The Honourable Kerri Irvin-Ross, Minister of Healthy Living, announces the Manitoba Retinal Screening Vision Program based at MHC.
2008 – MHC welcomes the Sleep Disorder Centre to a new expanded home in Wolseley 3 East. Interim Care beds are reduced to 150.
2009 – MHC becomes the first health facility in Winnipeg to offer patients Wi-Fi in waiting areas.
2009 – Provincial Health Contact Centre introduces TeleCARE Manitoba –
a telephone-based program that helps Manitobans with heart failure or Type 2 diabetes manage their condition.
2010 – Urgent Care begins accepting ambulances carrying stable patients.
2010 – Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons approves new University of Manitoba Ophthalmology Residency program, located at MHC.
2010 – Lucentis, another treatment for wet macular degeneration, now offered at our Eye Care Centre of Excellence and covered by Manitoba Health.
2010 – St. Luke’s Chapel transitions to an interim chapel in anticipation of MHC’s
2010 – Provincial Health Contact Centre introduces Dial-a-Dietitian – a provincial health promotion program that connects Manitobans with dietitians to answer questions and provide advice on food and nutrition.
2010 – MHC begins offering personal care home residents non-emergency blood transfusions in a comfortable environment; this service also eases pressures on Winnipeg emergency rooms.
2011 – Premier Greg Selinger officially announces the start of construction of Phase 1 of Misericordia’s $43 million redevelopment project, ceremoniously swinging a hammer at the soon-to-be-demolished Maryland South building.
2011 – MHC’s Foundation’s Future of Care redevelopment campaign launch with announcements of the eye clinics in the new Maryland building being named the Buhler Eye Care Centre – reflecting Bonnie and John Buhler’s $2 million donation – and Rooftop Garden and Solarium to be built on Cornish building roof.
2011 – MHC hosts Heritage Group with North American partner organizations; nine Misericordia Sisters attend.
2012 – The Maryland South building is demolished. A new 2-storey health complex begins to spring to life along Maryland Avenue.
2013 – The Great-West Life Rooftop Garden & Solarium, the first rooftop garden at a hospital in Manitoba, officially opens.
2014 – Health Links – Info Santé, the first telephone nurse-based triage system in Canada, celebrates its 20th anniversary.
2014-15 – New Maryland building officially opens as Phase 1 of Misericordia’s redevelopment, including Buhler Eye Care Centre, PRIME program and Ambulatory Diagnostic Centre, comes to a close.
2015 – New Medical Reprocessing Plant built and MHC parkade expanded with the addition of 100 parking spaces.
2015 – Misericordia’s Foundation breaks the Guinness World Record for the Largest Gathering of Angels as part of Angel Squad 20th anniversary celebrations.
2017 – Urgent Care is closed and a Community IV Therapy program opens as part of the Manitoba Health, Seniors & Active Living and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority’s Healing our Health System consolidation plan. Phase 2, a new Sherbrook building, of Misericordia’s redevelopment project is also put on hold.