Before Eye SurgeryBEFORE EYE SURGERY
Cataract surgery patients only: Please watch the Cataract Surgery Patient Journey video.
To assist you in your preparation for surgery, we request the following:
- The night before your surgery DO NOT eat any solid food, smoke, chew gum or tobacco or drink alcohol. Please note: If you have had any food after midnight your surgery will be cancelled.
- You may have clear fluids up to two hours before you arrive at Misericordia Health Centre. Clear fluids include water, apple juice, cranberry juice (no orange juice), clear tea or black coffee (no milk, cream, powdered creamer, sugar or sweetener), and clear soup broth WITHOUT noodles, vegetables or meat. DO NOT have sports or carbonated drinks.
- Bathe or shower the evening before or the morning of your surgery.
- For CATARACT SURGERY ONLY wear a short sleeve button up shirt and you will not have to change into a hospital gown. If you do not have this type of shirt a gown will be provided.
- DO NOT wear eye makeup, lipstick, nail polish or perfume.
- Leave all valuables at home. Misericordia Health Centre is not responsible for lost valuables.
- Bring your Manitoba Health Card or other insurance coverage information.
- Bring ALL your MEDICATIONS in their original containers. This includes pills, eye drops, patches, insulin, inhalers and herbal remedies.
- An adult driver must accompany you and stay close to Misericordia Health Centre while you are in surgery. If you are under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian MUST accompany you.
- If you go home the same day as your surgery, you must have a responsible adult stay with you for the first 24 hours.
- If you become sick – or for any reason are unable to keep your appointment for surgery – call your surgeon’s office the day before or call Misericordia Health Centre’s Patient Registration at 204-788-8303.
- Report to the Misericordia Health Centre Patient Registration located on the 1st floor at your appointed time.
- On the morning of surgery, take usual medications with a sip of water.
Exceptions to Medications
- Please do not take any diuretic or water pills
- If you are diabetic:
- Please DO NOT take any diabetes pills
- If you are on insulin, check with your surgeon or family doctor about whether you should take any insulin the day of the surgery
Preparing for Post-Surgical Care
You will have a follow-up appointment with your doctor the day of or the day after your surgery.
If you are from out of town, it is recommended that you check with your surgeon whether your follow-up visit will be on the day of surgery or the following day in case you will need to arrange for a place to stay overnight in Winnipeg.
Your eye doctor will prescribe eye drops that need to be put in several times a day for up to six weeks after surgery. If you require assistance with your eye drops please inform your eye doctor.
If you would like to hear general surgery preoperative instructions call Misericordia Health Centre General Information line at 204-788-8400.