Before Cataract Surgery
To assist you in your preparation for surgery, we request the following:
- The night before your surgery DO NOT eat any solid food, smoke, chew gum or tobacco or drink alcohol. Please note: If you have had any food after midnight your surgery will be cancelled.
- You may have clear fluids up to 2 hours prior to when you are directed to arrive at Misericordia Health Centre. Clear fluids includes water, apple juice, cranberry juice (No orange juice), clear tea or black coffee (no milk, cream, powdered creamer, sugar or sweetener), and clear broth (no noodles, vegetables or meat). No Sports and carbonated drinks.
- Bathe or shower the evening before or the morning of your surgery.
- Wear a short sleeve button up shirt and you will not have to change into a hospital gown. If you do not have this type of shirt a gown will be provided.
- DO NOT wear eye makeup, lipstick, nail polish or perfume. Leave all valuables at home. Misericordia Health Centre is not responsible for lost valuables.
- Bring your Manitoba Health Card and any other health plan cards.
- Bring ALL your MEDICATIONS in their original containers. This includes pills, eye drops, patches, insulin, inhalers and herbal preparations.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to accompany you and stay during your visit. If you are under 18 years of age, a patient or legal guardian MUST accompany you.
- If you go home the same day as your surgery, you MUST have a responsible adult stay with you for the first 24 hours.
- If you become ill and/or are unable to keep this appointment, call your surgeon’s office the day before or: Patient Registration 204-788-8303.
- Report to the Misericordia Health Centre PATIENT REGISTRATION located on the 1st Floor at your appointed time.
- ON THE MORNING OF SURGERY take usual medications with a sip of water.
- Diabetic Medications
- Water Pills
- If you are on Blood thinners follow your family doctor/surgeon’s instruction
Preparing for Post Surgical Care
You will have a follow-up appointment with your doctor the day of or the day after your surgery.
If you are from out of town, arrange for a place to stay overnight.
Your eye doctor will prescribe eye drops that need to be put in several times a day for up to 6 weeks after surgery.
If you would like to hear general surgery preoperative instructions or will need assistance with eye drops call Misericordia Health Centre General Information line at 204-788-8400.