A program of the Provincial Health Contact Centre
TeleCARE-TéléSOINS Manitoba is a free, confidential, telephone (or telehealth)-based program that helps Manitobans with, or at high risk for, Type 2 diabetes or heart failure to better self-manage their conditions. TeleCARE-TéléSOINS Manitoba registered nurses, specialized in chronic disease self-management, contact patients by phone based on an individualized call-monitoring schedule. The frequency of telephone sessions is personalized for each client based on an initial assessment and re-evaluated throughout the program. During these phone calls, the nurse will assess the person’s health, monitor any symptoms, concerns or problems, and provide education, recommendations and tools to help patients better self-manage their own health. The team of health care professionals at TeleCARE-TéléSOINS Manitoba includes the registered dietitians from the Dial-A-Dietitian program and works with the primary care provider to address any health concerns or issues as needed. For people without a telephone, this service can be provided by videoconference through their local MBTelehealth site.
Click here for a printable TeleCARE-TéléSOINS Manitoba referral form.
TeleCARE-TéléSOINS Manitoba Program Eligibility Criteria:
- Adults, 18 years of age or older, who reside within the province of Manitoba
- Participants must have a health-care provider willing to collaborate in management of care
- NYHA Class I – IV
- Functionally able to participate in telephone or videoconference-based (via MBTelehealth) health-care delivery.
- Adults, 18 years of age or older, who reside in the province of Manitoba
- Diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes with an A1C of < 9% and taking two or fewer oral agents (not on insulin) OR
- Identified as having pre-diabetes OR
- Identified as having one or more of the following risk factors:
- strong family history of diabetes
- history of gestational diabetes
- diabetes in pregnancy
- Not currently pregnant at the time of enrollment
- Not currently accessing other diabetes resources
- Ongoing diabetes care is provided by a health-care provider who is willing to collaborate in shared-care management
- Functionally able to participate in telephone or videoconferencing-based (via MBTelehealth) health-care delivery.
Patients can be referred by a health care professional or self-refer. Completed referral forms can be faxed to the TeleCARE-TéléSOINS Manitoba program at 204-779-5645.
For further information, refer to the list of available resources available for download by health care providers and patients.