History

1913 photo of Nurses With Babies
Nurses with Babies (1913)

The Misericordia Sisters began their service here in Winnipeg in 1898. The Sisters played a strong role in the community, taking care of young single mothers and their babies. Their commitment was to serve, a true reflection of their motto: Compassion of the heart for those in need.

The need for their caring service quickly grew. Their early days foreshadowed the development of expanded service that would bring the Sisters’ health-care provision to a new and broader base. Their facility, owned and operated by the Sisters, eventually expanded and became known as the Misericordia General Hospital.

During much of this early period, service expanded to meet the growing needs of this thriving prairie community. At that time, funding came from charity and private payment for services. Over the years, funding later came from the province.

More recently, our facility ownership changed from the Misericordia Sisters to the Misericordia Corporation within the Archdiocese of Winnipeg. Today, funding for programs and services is administered through the Winnipeg Health Region and charitable donations.

While our role has continued to change over the years, we remain guided by the tradition of the Misericordia Sisters. We proudly remain committed to our values as a faith-based caring health centre.


Chronology

1898
1900
1916
1917
1922
1927
1950
1953
1954
1959
1962
1965
1971
1983
1988
1990
1991
1993
1994
1995
1997
1998
2000
2001
2002
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009
2010
2011
2012
2013
2014
2015
2017

1898

Four Misericordia Sisters arrive in Winnipeg from Montreal to care for abandoned children as well as young women and their babies.

1900

The Misericordia Sisters realize the increasing needs of the community and move to two and a half acres of land between Sherbrook and Maryland streets to establish the Winnipeg Maternity Hospital.

1916

The Sisters open the Misericordia School of Nursing; graduates were well respected and highly sought after, primarily due to their faith-based training.

1917

Winnipeg Maternity Hospital name changes to Misericordia General Hospital with 125 beds, 50 bassinets and 50 medical practitioners.

1922

Misericordia General Hospital awarded a grade “A” facility approval from the Catholic Association of Federated Hospitals and the American College of Surgeons.

1927

Misericordia General Hospital enlarged from 125 to 225 beds.

1950

Maryland Wing added, bringing the total number of beds to 305.

1953

Shea family’s significant donation allows Misericordia’s expansion to go forward.

1954

Construction begins on the Cornish and Wolseley West additions bringing the total number of beds to 418, with 60 bassinets and a full range of diagnostic services.

1959

During the 1950s the Misericordia Sisters have the strongest presence in Winnipeg, with over 45 Sisters involved and active.

1962

New nurses’ residence constructed to accommodate 200 students.

1965

The care of single mothers and their babies separates from Misericordia General Hospital with the opening of Villa Rosa, a home for single mothers.

1971

Riverview Annex constructed, housing the new Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit.

1983

Misericordia Health Centre’s Foundation incorporates.

1988

Parkade, Central Energy Plant and overpass completed.

1990

Maryland North buildings, Carpentry and Paint Shop demolished.

1991

New Receiving Area and Dietetic Production area completed.

1993

Eye Care Centre of Excellence consolidated and established at Misericordia. Pediatrics and Inpatient Psychiatry removed and consolidated at other facilities.

1994

Care-A-Van purchased: a staff-initiated program taking care into the community.

1995

Misericordia General Hospital receives the Manitoba Quality Award.

1997

Obstetrics Department and School of Nursing closes.

1998

Misericordia General Hospital becomes known as Misericordia Health Centre (MHC), reflecting its new role. Urgent Care Centre opens; 174 Interim Long-Term Care beds open.

Wolseley Family Place, a family resource drop-in centre, opens to meet changing community needs.

2000

Misericordia Place, a 100-bed Personal Care Home, opens.

2001

Wolseley Family Place incorporates.

2002

PhotoDynamic Therapy (PDT) begins in Eye Care Centre of Excellence.

2004

Health Links-Info Santé expands to a 35-seat provincial call centre called the Provincial Health Contact Centre (PHCC).

The two remaining Misericordia Sisters residing in Winnipeg announce they will be returning to the Motherhouse in Montreal. A brightly lit cross is placed atop the Misericordia Health Centre to honour the Sisters legacy.

2005

Pediatric Dental, a new surgical program, opens.

The MHC Foundation successfully completes a significant fund-raising initiative to make possible a major redevelopment and patient enhancement for our 24/7 Urgent Care Centre.

2006

The $1.7 million redevelopment of Urgent Care, including a refurbished waiting area, is completed.

2007

The Manitoba Government announces Misericordia’s $17.5 million redevelopment plans, including an expansion of our Eye Care Centre of Excellence and Ambulatory Diagnostic Services. New to Misericordia will be a sleep disorder centre, a renal dialysis centre, a chronic care unit and the PRIME program.

Avastin™ injections, an innovate treatment of wet macular degeneration, begin at our Eye Care Centre of Excellence.

The Manitoba Government announces the Manitoba Retinal Screening Vision Program based at MHC.

2008

MHC welcomes the Sleep Disorder Centre to a new expanded home in Wolseley 3 East. Interim Care beds are reduced to 150.

2009

MHC becomes the first health facility in Winnipeg to offer patients Wi-Fi in waiting areas.

Provincial Health Contact Centre introduces TeleCARE Manitoba – a telephone-based program that helps Manitobans with heart failure or Type 2 diabetes manage their condition.

2010

Urgent Care begins accepting ambulances carrying stable patients.

Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons approves new University of Manitoba Ophthalmology Residency program, located at MHC.

Lucentis, another treatment for wet macular degeneration, now offered at our Eye Care Centre of Excellence and covered by Manitoba Health.

St. Luke’s Chapel transitions to an interim chapel in anticipation of MHC’s expansive redevelopment.

Provincial Health Contact Centre introduces Dial-a-Dietitian – a provincial health promotion program that connects Manitobans with dietitians to answer questions and provide advice on food and nutrition.

2011

Premier Greg Selinger officially announces the start of construction of Phase 1 of Misericordia’s $43 million redevelopment project, ceremoniously swinging a hammer at the soon-to-be-demolished Maryland South building.

MHC’s Foundation’s Future of Care redevelopment campaign launch with announcements of the eye clinics in the new Maryland building being named the Buhler Eye Care Centre – reflecting Bonnie and John Buhler’s $2 million donation – and Rooftop Garden and Solarium to be built on Cornish building roof.

MHC hosts Heritage Group with North American partner organizations; nine Misericordia Sisters attend.

2012

The Maryland South building is demolished. A new 2-storey health complex begins to spring to life along Maryland Avenue.

2013

The Great-West Life Rooftop Garden & Solarium, the first rooftop garden at a hospital in Manitoba, officially opens.

2014

Health Links – Info Santé, the first telephone nurse-based triage system in Canada, celebrates its 20th anniversary.

2015

New Maryland building officially opens as Phase 1 of Misericordia’s redevelopment, including Buhler Eye Care Centre, PRIME program and Ambulatory Diagnostic Centre, comes to a close.

New Medical Reprocessing Plant built and MHC parkade expanded with the addition of 100 parking spaces.

Misericordia’s Foundation breaks the Guinness World Record for the Largest Gathering of Angels as part of Angel Squad 20th anniversary celebrations.

2017

Urgent Care is closed and a Community IV Therapy program opens as part of the Manitoba Health, Seniors & Active Living and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority’s Healing our Health System consolidation plan.

Phase 2, a new Sherbrook building, of Misericordia’s redevelopment project is also put on hold.